Top 5 Wednesday is a weekly meme hosted by Thoughts on Tomes. Check out the upcoming Top 5 topics on the Goodreads group! This weeks theme is Inaccurate Book Covers, where you can showcase all those books that lie buried in your bookcase and will remain so, because they are too fugly to be seen by innocent eyes. So, without further ado….
Book Covers that Suck:
1. Transformation by Carol Berg. If you’ve been following my posts for a bit, you might already know how much I HATE THIS COVER. To the point where my copy at home actually has duct tape over it. Because I’d rather look at that than this half-naked man with green wings and a perplexed expression. WHAT WERE YOU THINKING BERG?
2. Shatter Me Series by Tahereh Mafi. Don’t get me wrong, these covers are absolutely gorgeous and they’re some of my favorite book porn. Just not exaaaaactly sure what they were going for with the eyeballs going through different seasons. Maybe its a metaphor for Juliette’s “awakening” (aka growing out of being a little bitch), but it’s a stretch. Why not put a picture of a shirtless Warner there instead? It’d be better than a shirtless winged-dude.
3. Ill-Made Mute by Cecilia Dart-Thornton. Here we see a preview for a “What Not to Wear” episode. Seriously, is that a burlap sack? Knowing that the book is backed by a lot of Gaelic/Celtic folklore, this cover kind of makes sense. But it makes the book look boring as shit … which I’ll admit it kind of is at times. If you can wade through the heavy prose it’s well worth the read though!
4. Throne of Glass by Sarah J Maas. Thank god this is an old cover because what is this atrocity? Is it about an assassin or a beauty queen?! This chick looks waaaay too innocent to be Celaena. No way is she sassing princes, butchering people with names like Grave, and banging the hottest guy in the castle. Like, nice biceps babe but try again.
5. Winner’s Curse by Marie Rutkoski. **retching noises** Again, beauty queen or badass? What’s with the overly dramatic hand on the brow, oh I fainted nonsense? It took me MONTHS to read this bad boy solely because the cover was like that of the Selection series, except worse. I mean, I like the dress and all but Kestrel sure as hell ain’t no swooning maiden. Show her scheming or plotting or at least doing SOMETHING rather than this damsel in distress nonsense. Pretty sure Kestrel can save herself..
And there you have it, folks! I’m sure there’s a bunch of other atrocious covers out there too, so please share your nominations!